Sunday, June 7, 2009

Christianity and Hoverfrogs

Look who's back!

Yep, that's right, I got bored of the report again. I mean, I wrote like two whole extra paragraphs since last time I posted.

Anyway, I'm here to detail a little something I found whilst searching around and mucking about earlier.

First Topic: Which day starts the week? Monday or Sunday?
Well, this came up when I was talking to Sam when she mentioned that it was Sunday and hence the start of the week. I believe that Monday is the start of the week, and so told her that. She denied it. I argued back, I quote "It is. It so is."

A quick search on Wikipedia saw this statement come up. "According to the Christian count, Sunday is the first day of the week. This is the standard format in the United States, Canada, and Japan.
But in many other cultures, Monday is held to be the first day of the week. For example, Monday is xingqi yi (ζ˜ŸζœŸδΈ€) in Chinese, meaning day one of the week. The international standard, ISO 8601, defines Monday as the first day of the week. Its name in Georgian, Greek and Syriac means "first day". Quakers also traditionally refer to Monday as "First Day" eschewing the pagan origin of the English name "Monday"."

Not only am I slightly worried about the "pagan origin" part of that, I'm also slightly worried about Christians and their hypocrisy. Doesn't that story about God creating the world END on Sunday and START on Monday?

Second Topic: Hoverfrogs

After proving to Sam that my opinion was valid, I moved on to search for something relevant to my report and so typed "Physics" into the Wikipedia searchbox. I found this:
It's a picture of a magnet hovering above some sort of superconductor thingymajig. Of course, the realness of stuff on Wikipedia is questionable, but I was captivated by this picture. Maybe using this method, called the "Meissner Effect" we could develop hovercars? (Yeah, silly I know, just the hopeful dream of a nerdy teen). (EDIT: In fact, I remember now hearing about something similiar to this being used in Japan on trains...). I decided to investigate. I then found this:
It's hard to tell, but it's a picture of a hovering frog. That's right. A. Hovering. Frog.
I don't care HOW it works, but it's the levitation of an organic lifeform. Forget Hovercars, we have Hoverfrogs!

And that's that. Back to the report.

1 comment: